Once your new Ghost publication is working you can get started on setting up your account, customising your site and creating content. Here's a quick guide to walk you through all of these things.
If you have questions or are looking for specific information, try using the search function up at the top!
🔧 Setting up your account
Before you can begin using Ghost, you'll need to create an account as the owner of your publication. Follow the steps below to create your publication's owner account:
- Go to
subdomain.ghost.io/ghost/signinand click Create your account
- Enter a blog title, your name, email address, and a password. Click the Last step: Invite your team button to continue
- Invite team members to collaborate on your publication, or skip this step and go directly to your publication's admin area
Your publication is automatically populated with some posts that include lots of useful tips about using the platform. Once you are finished with these, you can remove them all by deleting the default Ghost user.
🎨 Customising your theme
Ghost comes with a beautiful default theme called Casper. It's a clean, readable publication layout and can be adapted for most purposes. However, you can also theme your site completely to suit your needs. Rather than just giving you a few basic settings which act as a poor proxy for code, we just let you write code.
You can do everything from changing the layout and style of your site, to integrating comments and much more. Here's a few useful resources to get you started:
- Theme documentation – learn more about building your own theme
- Tutorials – Useful guides on how to customise your site with custom home pages, content collections and more
- Integrations – discover lots of ways to integrate your favourite tools with Ghost
- Ghost Theme Marketplace – beautiful premium themes ready to go
✍️ Creating content
When you are ready to start adding content to your publication, you will find a powerful rich editor that supports a wealth of content such as embeds, HTML, Markdown and image galleries.
Posts can be organised efficiently using tags, and the post settings menu gives you the a full suite of tools to power a modern publication: structured data, SEO capabilities, custom social cards and more.
For further details about using the Ghost editor and settings, check out the following resources:
- Using the Ghost editor
- Optimising your posts and more in the post settings guide
- Design settings for your site
- Admin and general settings