Note Ghost requires Node.js 0.10.x (latest stable). We recommend Node.js 0.10.30 & npm 1.4.21.
To install Node.js and Ghost on your mac you'll need an open terminal window. You can get one by opening spotlight and typing "Terminal".
- On http://nodejs.org press install, a '.pkg' file will be downloaded
- Click on the download to open the installer, this is going to install both node and npm.
- Click through the installer, finally entering your password and clicking 'install software'.
- Once the installer is complete, go into your open Terminal window and type
echo $PATHto check that '/usr/local/bin/' is in your path.
Note: If '/usr/local/bin' does not appear in your $PATH, see the troubleshooting tips to find out how to add it
If you get stuck you can watch the whole process in action here.
Install and Run Ghost
- On the downloads page, press the button to download the latest zip file.
- Click on the arrow next to the newly downloaded file, and choose 'show in finder'.
- In finder, double-click on the downloaded zip file to extract it.
- Next, grab the newly extracted 'ghost-#.#.#' folder and drag it onto the tab bar of your open terminal window, this will make a new terminal tab which is open at the correct location.
- In the new terminal tab type
npm install --productionnote the two dashes
- When npm is finished installing, type
npm startto start Ghost in development mode
- In a browser, navigate to
127.0.0.1:2368to see your newly setup Ghost blog
- Change the url to
127.0.0.1:2368/ghostand create your admin user to login to the Ghost admin.
- See the usage docs for instructions on the next steps